He was effectionatly known as Mr Rothmans & Leopard, that was the man I first was shown at a New Zealand indoor champs, back in the days when there were two skating Federations in New Zealand, our NZFRS only raced indoors on the 100 meter tracks.
Ian was a crafty racer & from memory at 44 years of age won the N.Z. half mile or 880 yards Championships on his regular diet of Rothmans cigarettes & Leopard Beer. A real larger than life character, a cigarette & a Beer before a race & after was common,back in the mid seventies before political correctness arrived & Characters are now much less common.
We used to race with Bostick on our wooden Pine wheels & powdered floors back in his day, then at one stadium they banned Bostick & Powder at the N.Z. champs.
I wondered how some of these Skaters were not slipping, but a pre vrace visit to the toilet, the answer was solved Mac & a few other experienced skaters deliberately peed on the floor & then rolled their wheels in it, to give the white pine wheels a light acid etch & a bit more grip.
For the Kiwi’s always known as great innovators this was classic, but a great Era.
- Peter Michael & Nicole Begg X-TECH, Li Shui China International, 30th Oct - 2nd Nov, hopefully 3rd Jeonju WIC Korea, Mike Paez Mexico also 3 years ago
- January February Timaru 9-12 Jan Tour of Timaru, 25th Waimate, 1 & 2 Feb S.C. open, 8 & 9 South Island Open, 15th & 16th N.Z. Bank tracks 3 years ago
- Well run of bad weather, But heading towards a week of it I hate. Friday night club, wee play with the stop watch, lots of faster youngsters 3 years ago
- Out of commission coaching in Timaru for 6 weeks, China, Timaru and Chritchurch hospitals and Worlds & holiday, improving so so want to see 3 years ago
- Well heading towards the main N.Z. Skating season, while Europe is heading into Ice mode. To our x-TECH ones on the ice good luck. 3 years ago